In 1865, Hoschton began at the present-day intersection of State Road 53 and Peachtree Road,
about one-half mile south of the present-day City Square. At this location, the three pioneering brothers named
J.R., R.A. and William Hosch, for whom the City is named, built the first store. The J.E. Hill home was constructed
on the same site in 1913 and later purchased by Dr. L.C. Allen and his son and served as the Allen Clinic and Hospital
from 1930 to 1954. Today, the home is a private residence and still serves as a beautiful reminder of by-gone days.
In 1878, a railroad was being built to run from Gainesville through Jefferson to Athens. Soon afterwards,
stock was sold to connect the railroad at Belmont and to extend it to Monroe. While the railroad was being
constructed south from Gainesville, the Hosch brothers secured the right-of-way for the railroad to run through the
community and built the present-day Depot in 1883 to serve the needs of the new railroad.
In 1880, J.R and R.A. Hosch decided to start a town and had the community surveyed. The survey established the
city limits as three-quarters of a mile in every direction from the Depot. As a result, city lots began to be sold
on December 21, 1881. The Hosch Brothers bought and donated property for the use of Hoschton citizens that would be
used for the city square, streets, railroad right-of-way, church, school, Rockwell Lodge and city cemetery.
In 1884, the first public school was built just west of the City Square on West Broad Street. It was one of the first
graded schools in this part of the state and at times had between 25 - 30 boarding pupils. The first class graduated
in 1903 and included well-known Hoschtonians Bertha Hosch Freeman and Ruth Hosch Darby. The school site is the present-day
location of the Masonic-Rockwell Lodge.
Around 1885, two milestones occurred: the first church was built for the use of all denominations and the first industry - a tannery,
harness and collar shop was established by the DeLaPerriere and Brandon Corporation.
The City was incorporated in 1891 and the charter signed by Governor William J. Northern. The first elected Mayor of Hoschton was George Adams,
and the first elected City Council included J.W. Darby, John Smith, Dr. L.C. Allen, John Chestnut and C.P. Garrison.
In 1918, citizens responded to the need for a larger, more modern school and raised funds by borrowing and selling bonds.
As a result, the Longview and Hoschton schools were consolidated to create the new Hoschton Elementary School. Today,
that original elementary school building, located at the intersection of State Road 53 and Industrial Boulevard, is
the New Community Church.
In the late 1950's, Jackson County High School was built and the schools of Hoschton, Braselton and Jackson Trail were
merged. The new school was located on State Road 53 at the city limit between Hoschton and Braselton.
In 1979, the high school was closed and consolidated to a more centralized location in Jefferson to serve students
from all areas of the county. The former high school building was re-designated as the West Jackson Primary School
and now serves students in kindergarten through second grade. The newly constructed West Jackson Intermediate School
on East Jefferson Street serves students in grades 3 through 5. A few miles further south is the West Jackson Middle
School on Gumsprings Road with grades 6 through 8.
Over the years, the City has been home to two banks, a cotton gin, cotton oil mill, a train depot, a soft drink
bottling company, a tannery and harness factory, a drugstore and soda fountain and two department stores.
The Gainesville Midland Railroad served the community and provided for passenger service and the shipment of
agricultural products until 1947.
The first pedigree poultry breeding hatchery in Georgia was located in Hoschton and specialized in the
production of breeding stock that was shipped throughout the United States, Western Europe and South America.
As the poultry industry developed in North Georgia, local residents played a key role in genetic
improvements in the thriving industry.
In 2000, through the combined efforts of the City and the Hoschton Women's Civic Club,
the Depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and is now used regularly for community events
and public meetings.
Today, Hoschton is improving its municipal water and sewer system to improve services to the growing community.
The Streetscape project in the downtown area was completed in 2004 and has greatly enhanced the appearance of the
City Square. A new recreation and park facility was constructed in 2004 and provides outstanding facilities
for softball, baseball, and soccer, and also includes a children's playground and walking trail.
There are presently seven residential subdivisions within the city limits - Century Oaks, Legacy Oaks, Towne Park,
Deer Creek Farms, Quail Crossing, Village at Hoschton and Panther Creek. Several hundred new homes are currently
under construction or have been approved throughout the community.
Hoschton has transitioned from a small, quiet agricultural town to a growing community that is balancing its residential
growth with that of light industry, shopping and restaurants.
City government consists of the Mayor, City Council, City Clerk's Office, Police Department, Planning and Development
Department, and Public Works and Utilities Department. Fire services are provided by the West Jackson Fire
During the last twenty years, Hoschton has witnessed many changes - changes that have made the City stronger,
more prosperous and a more inviting place to live and raise a family. We eagerly look toward managing the
challenges of the future in a way that does not diminish the importance of our heritage and culture.
Return to Top